Naked Barley Flakes | Organic
Perfect for porridge, muesli, bread, crumbles, granola and flapjacks. Grown in the UK by Hodmedods and certified organic by the Soil Association. Well suited to our climate, Bronze Age farmers would have been very familiar with this nutritious cereal...and we're pleased to see it's making a comeback.
Hodmedods' baked barley flakes were highly commended in the 2017 Great British Food Awards where Michel Roux Jr. summed up their delicious versatility like this: “The flakes look great and have a wonderful aroma of nutty goodness, which hits you as soon as you open the packet. It’s divine when cooked as a porridge, savoury or sweet, or even mixed into bread and crumbles. So much more than a breakfast cereal!”
Hodmedods' Quinoa and Barley Flakes Energy Bars
- 50ml oil
- 50ml apple juice
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 dessert apple, grated (peel included)
- 150g naked barley flakes
- 50g quinoa puffs
- 50g dried apricots, chopped
- 50g dates, chopped
- 50g roughly chopped mixed nuts, i.e. almonds, cashew nuts and walnuts
- 50g mixed seeds, i.e. pumpkin, sunflower and chia
- ½ tsp salt
- Oil for greasing
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 3 and lightly grease the baking tin with oil.
- Put the oil, apple juice concentrate, mashed bananas and grated apple into a large mixing bowl and stir well to mix.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Spoon into a 20cm square loose-bottomed brownie tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the oven for about 55 minutes until golden. Leave to cool in the tin and then cut into 12 pieced. Store in an airtight container or freeze in individual portions.